|First appearance||S2E01: Fugitivus|
|Last appearance||S2E04: Empty Hands|
|Profession|| Gladiator (House of Batiatus)|
|Relationships|| Liscus (Friend, deceased)|
Acer (Friend, deceased)
Rhaskos (Friend, deceased)
|Status||Deceased (Killed by Roman Soldiers)|
Fortis is part of the group of Gauls, despite not being a Gaul himself. Like them though he is loyal to Crixus and is both volatile and reckless in heated situations, yet he is slightly calmer than the rest of them are.
Fortis is one of the many Gladiators and slaves to escape the ludus following the revolt led by Spartacus where he becomes part of the group of Gauls, including Rhaskos, Liscus, Acer and others under Crixus.
Like the rest of the Gauls, Fortis expresses hostility and reluctance at sharing their spoils with the other house slaves, but relent when Spartacus orders it.
The group later takes a villa, south of Capua and use it as a small base of operations. That night he celebrates with his fellows, taking to drink.
As they look for Naevia, the group is ambushed by the forces of Gaius Claudius Glaber, under the command of Marcus and Ashur. As they attempt to escape Fortis becomes frustrated when Mira leads them to a dead end. In the end, however, Fortis manages to escape the mines and into the forest with Spartacus, Mira, Nasir, Naevia, Liscus, Tychos and Sophus.
While fleeing the ambush there, Fortis fights off and survives numerous waves of Romans that the fleeing Rebels run into, albeit with the losses of Tychos and Sophus, and a mortal injury to Nasir. Fortis sides with Liscus when he argues with Spartacus, wanting to abandon Naevia and the wounded Nasir, who are both slowing their escape. Fortis also points out that Nasir's blood-loss is leaving a trail that the Romans are certain to be following. Spartacus, however, refuses, instead sending Liscus and Fortis on ahead to fetch Agron and the other rebels at Vesuvius.
Fortis and Liscus become separated in the forest while trying to evade their Roman pursuers. However, alone and outnumbered, Fortis is caught and killed (off-screen), and his body is hung from a tree.
War of the DamnedEdit
At the tribute games to honor Crixus one of the Rebels shouts his name to honor him.
- Brian Manthenga, the actor who played Fortis is 192cm (6'4").
- Fortis is one of many gladiators presented in Vengeance that did not appear in Blood and Sand.
- Fortis' name is among those that are shouted at Crixus' funeral.
- Fortis' origins may lie with the nomadic Tuareg or the agricultural Haratin people in the Numidian tribal confederacy.
- In Latin, Fortis means "one who is strong".
- The word "Aethiopian" was used by Greeks and Romans as the catch-all term for black Africans, as opposed to "Libyan" which described lighter-complexioned Berber or Amazigh populations in North Africa.
"She sends us to our f***ing death!"
―Fortis to Spartacus regarding Mira
- ↑ Spartacus: Vengeance Season 2; Episode 4