|First appearance||S1E08: Mark of the Brotherhood|
|Last appearance||S1E08: Mark of the Brotherhood|
|Profession||Trainee Gladiator (House of Batiatus)|
|Relationships|| Agron (Rival, alive)|
Duro (Rival, deceased)
Crixus (Enemy, deceased)
Ilithyia (Domina, deceased)
|Status||Deceased (Crucified by fellow gladiators, on Batiatus' orders)|
Segovax has long, dark dreadlocks that fall below his shoulders. He is taller than average, tan, and very muscular. He has been compared to the other recruits as having a larger than average penis, and it is for this reason that Ilithyia chooses him as her gladiator.
He idolizes Spartacus and seeks to follow him by gaining glory in the arena and eventually buying his freedom. He respects Spartacus as he is seen asking for advice for his training, but he does not show any loyalty to him. His attempt to kill Spartacus on Ilithyia's orders shows that he values his freedom from slavery above all else and will do anything to gain it.
Blood and SandEdit
Segovax was a slave to be sold at market and was purchased by Batiatus, along with Duro and Agron and three others, for 100 denarii. In the line-up in the ludus, he stands silently as he and the other recruits are lectured by Batiatus and Doctore, and he remains silent as he is commanded to remove his subligaria for Ilithyia. As he and the recruits lie in their cell, Segovax tells the others of gaining freedom through glory in the arena and his desire to do so. He kills another recruit during training and moves to spar with Spartacus to prove his worth, but must relinquish his sword to Crixus. Later, Segovax approaches Spartacus in the baths and asks for advice to train and gain his freedom, but is told to forget about freedom and life outside the ludus.
He is summoned by Ilithyia and she tells him that she is his Domina, and pleasing her will have his desires granted, even his freedom. She tells him that she also has a desire to be fulfilled. Shortly after, Segovax is seen attacking Spartacus from behind as he relaxes in the baths. He nearly succeeds in forcefully strangling Spartacus but is stopped by Crixus. When asked why he attacked Spartacus, he does not reveal any reason proving his loyalty to Ilithyia, even after having his penis removed as punishment. He is crucified in the ludus, left for dead by an enraged Ilithyia.
- Michael Edward, the actor who played Segovax is 186cm tall.
- Segovax had a small tattoo on his right shoulder, making him one of a small few people to be seen with them, others being Gannicus, Theokoles and Unnamed Murmillo. He is the only one of the four that isn't a gladiator.
- Segovax is the first character in the series to be crucified and the only one to be emasculated. In addition, he is the only character in the series to be crucified by his fellow gladiators.
- Segovax was a name recorded in Julius Caesar's Commentaries on the Gallic War as one of the kings of the Cantiaci tribe in southern Britain. Much of southern Britain in the First Century BCE was dominated by Belgae Celts, a hybrid Germanic-Gaulish population from the Belgium-Netherland region. Segovax may have originated from the Belgae.
- Spartacus never learns that Illythia ordered Segofax to make an attempt on his life. However, it is implied that Batiatus and Lucretia were aware of her involvement, or at least heavily suspicious.
- They later confirmed their knowledge in Whore.
"Spartacus is a man to be held as an example. The slave ignites the arena. One day the flames shall set him free."
―Segovax to Duro and Agron
"Gratitude...For your aid in my training."
―Segovax to Spartacus
―Segovax to Spartacus
- ↑ Spartacus: Blood and Sand Season 1; Episode 8