Spartacus Legends is a fighting-style game. It was released on the PlayStation Network on June 25th (North and South America) and worldwide on Xbox Live Arcade on June 26th. The game was developed by Kung Fu Factory and Published by Ubisoft. Spartacus Legends is free to play, but some in-game content can be bought using real currency.
As the story progresses, the player can face stronger opponents and gain better rewards. The goal is to become as famous and prestigious as possible, while maintaining both a Ludus and its Gladiators.
- Sword and shield - A highly defensive style with medium range and power. (Murmillo, Thraex or Samnite).
- Think "reality" when making one of them. Make a battle tank Murmillo with low mobility and high defense then counter strike, or a more mobile, light weight, Thraex.
- Samnite Gladiators can’t be made until level 10-15.
- This style is used by Oenomaus in the game.
- Dual swords - High speed, low defense, medium range and power. (Dimachaerus).
- You can either go with Sicae, Gladii or Thracian swords.
- Dual daggers - Most agile, but short range, low power and defense. (Similar to Dimachaerus, see Saxa or The Egyptian).
- Two handed hammer - Great power, medium range, low defense and speed. (Secutor style).
- Two handed sword - All-around class.
- They wield either a two-handed Spatha or Falx.
- Trident - Longest range, but terrible up close. Is average with everything else. (Retiarius, without net).
- Their weapons go from basic two-teeth fishing harpoon to six-teeth Fuscina.
- Spear and shield - Long range and quick with high defense, but power suffers. (Hoplomachus, without dagger).
- Unarmed - Low power, low range, and fast speed.
- To use effectively, a very fast and powerful gladiator (with a high damage %) is required. He should then be boosted with armor, a helmet and boots.
- The Drop-Kick can go through any attack without being hit.
Each time you kill an opponent you get a perk. Special opponents have more unique perks, while random opponents produce a more common, random perk. Perks have color classes like the gladiators and weapons have; grey, green and blue. These colors can only been viewed in the Ludus.
Replacing a perk with another perk cost gold, so picking perks carefully is important.
- Agile Sentinel - Fully regain your Defense after a successful dodge.
- Amateur's Affliction - Regenerate .5% health per second when opponent has earned little crowd favor.
- Apollo's Blessing - Regenerate .25% health every second.
- Armor of the Crowd - Become invulnerable for 8 seconds when you earn high favor with the crowd. Can only be used once per fight.
- Balanced Mind - +10% damage to Defense when Health is high.
- Beneath Your Feet - You will get up quickly after being knocked to the ground by a strike.
- Bite of Cerberus - Critical Hits will cause the opponent to bleed 5% health over 5 seconds.
- Blade Hunter - Gain +15% Damage, +5% Move Speed, +7% Damage Reduction, and +10% Defense Recovery when facing sword wielding foes.
- Bravado - +2% Attack Speed for 6 seconds after performing a Taunt.
- Callous - Gain +15% Damage Resistance when your opponent's Health is low.
- Cocky - +30% Critical Hit Chance for 6 seconds after performing a Taunt.
- Coward's burden - Increase critical hit damage and critical hit chance by 30% when your opponent has little favor.
- Crowd's Embrace - Block all grab attempts when you earn high favor with the crowd.
- Curse of Janus - Throwing your opponent will cause crowd favor to shift in your favor.
- Defense of the Crowd - Defense will become unlimited for 12 seconds when you earn high favor with the crowd. Can only be used once per fight.
- Devourer - Dodging your opponent will cause crowd favor to shift in your favor.
- Doctore's Focus - Critical Hit Chance +15%. Critical Hit Damage +30%.
- Dog's Fortune - Gain +40% Critical Hit chance, +40% Critical Hit damage when Defense is low.
- Dull Edge - Gain +10% Damage, +5% Move Speed, +7% Damage Reduction, and +10% Defense Recovery when facing Sword and Dagger wielding foes.
- Enraged - When your defense is broken, gain +25% Damage for 8 seconds. Collect from Otho The Savage in Insulae Stage 5.
- Fearless Fists - Your gladiator's stats will be increased when fighting unarmed.
- Forced Entry - Gain +10% Damage for 4 seconds after a successful parry. Collect from Hrowulf the Impenetrable in Spectacula stage 6.
- Fortification - Defense will regenerate 20% faster.
- Fortune of the Crowd - Gain +30% Critical Hit chance and +30% Critical Hit damage when you earn high favor with the crowd.
- Frenzy of the Crowd - Gain +10% Damage, +2% Attack Speed, and +5% Move Speed when you earn high favor with the crowd.
- Fury - Gain +20% Damage and +4% Attack Speed when Health is low.
- Gambler's Profit - Regenerate 4% health after a successful parry.
- Gladiator's Panacea - 15% of damage dealt will be returned as health.
- Good Fortune - Your gladiator's chance of being struck by a Critical Hit is reduced by 50%.
- Hammer Killer - Gain +15% Damage, +5% Move Speed, +7% Damage Reduction, and +10% Defense Recovery when facing Hammer wielding foes.
- Hardened Flesh - Resist damage by 5%.
- Headstrong - Resist damage to health by 25% when health is low.
- Heart of Canna - +10 health.
- Human Fortress - Fully regain your Defense after a successful parry.
- Hurried Butcher - +4% attack speed.
- Ignore Pain - When your Gladiator is struck, you will have a 15% chance to knockback your opponent.
- Impatient - Recover 25% faster after blocking an attack.
- Jupiter's Luck - +40% to overall stats, extra damage after parrying, and damage taken during Second Wind reduced.
- Jupiter's Might - +10% Damage.
- Keen Eye - +10% damage when opponent's Defense is low.
- Life on the Edge - Regenerate .75% health per second while defense is low.
- Merciless - Defense will become unlimited when your opponent's health is low.
- Merits of Pride - +10% damage when Health is high.
- Neptune's Assassin - Gain +15% Damage, +5% Move Speed, +7% Damage Reduction, and +10% Defense Recovery when facing Spear wielding foes.
- Nimble - +2% Attack Speed for 4 seconds when Rolling.
- No Missio - Recover quickly after being knocked to the ground.
- Pandora's Box - Parrying your opponent will cause crowd favor to shift in your favor. Collect from Whilhelm the Proud in Oscan Capua stage 4.
- Pluto's Protection - When health is low, you will become invulnerable for 7 seconds. Activates only once per fight.
- Protection of the Crowd - Gain +15% damage resistance and +10% defense recovery when you earn high favor with the crowd.
- Rabid Dog - Gain +50% Critical Hit chance and +50% Critical Hit damage when Health is low.
- Resurrection - Gain more health from your second wind.
- Roar of the Crowd - Regenerate .5% health every second when Crowd Favor is full.
- Ruthless Counter - +2% Health and +5% Damage for 6 seconds after blocking an opponent's Grab.
- Shield Breaker - Gain +15% Damage, +5% Move Speed, +7% Damage Reduction, and +10% Defense Recovery when facing Shield wielding foes.
- Showboat - Gain an extra +20% crowd favor for successful strikes.
- Shroud of the Fallen I - +5 Health, +5 Defense, +5% Damage.
- Shroud of the Fallen II - +10 Health, +10 Defense, +10% Damage.
- Shroud of the Fallen III - +15 Health, +15 Defense, +15% Damage.
- Slave's Confidence - Defense will become unlimited when Health is high.
- Slave's Punishment - +10% damage when your opponent has earned little crowd favor.
- Slimy Maggot - Temporarily block all Grab attempts when Defense is low.
- Slippery Grasp - Blocks all Grab attempts for 8 seconds when your defense is broken.
- Swift and Hearty - Regenerate 2% Health after a successful dodge.
- Swift Sandals - +5% Movement Speed.
- Tank - +10% Damage for 4 seconds when Rolling.
- Thick Skull - +10 Defense.
- Torturer - Regenerate .5% health per second when your opponent's health is low.
- Toughened - When Health is low, Defense becomes unlimited for 10 seconds. Activates only once per fight.
- Tragic Blessing - Regenerate 8% health after your defense is broken.
- Unfazed - Recover 25% faster after being hit by an attack.
- Unshakable - Block all Grab attempts for 5 seconds after being Parried.
- Violent Retort - Gain +15% Damage for 5 seconds after a successful dodge.
- Warrior's Panacea - 15% of all Damage dealt is converted to health.
- Warrior's Insurance - Gain +25% damage resistance for 4 seconds when your defense is broken.
- Wily Beast - Block all Grab attempts for 5 seconds after being Dodged.
- Wrath of the Brute - Gain +10% damage, +2% attack speed and +5% move speed when defense is low.
There are six areas, each with their own gladiators and champions. The higher leveled areas come with higher risk and reward. Beating the Legendary Gladiator of an area makes him available for purchase in the Ludus. Each Legendary Gladiator's cost varies from seven gold and up.
- This is Batiatus' Ludus.
- A low risk, low reward arena, full of easy opponents.
- Requires dual daggers to complete.
- Legend: Oenomaus, wielding a sword and shield, with the armor he wore against Theokoles in the show.
- This is the market place.
- Risk, reward, and difficulty rise a minuscule amount.
- Legend is a duel-wielding dagger fighter named Acolytus/Aceirbitas. He has nothing to do with the former champion of Batiatus' House. He wears a helmet similar to the one worn by Caburus and wields a pair of daggers.
- Level three fame, coin, and lethality.
- Tiberius longsword (Two-handed sword).
- Hamilmax the Smasher.
- Petrus Bloodtide.
- Velerian Swifthammer.
- Prosperus Goldenhammer.
- Legend: Masonius, in his classic Hoplomachus attire but with a clearer skin (more tanned than Numidian).
- This is The Pit.
- Highest risk, highest coin, lowest fame.
- 5 skull lethality.
- Otho the savage, He carries a Two-handed Hammer, and requires a Two-handed Hammer to fight.
- Iduna Twin-fang.
- Ferox The Skull collector.
- Rohan the barbaric.
- Iothar of the Hills.
- Legend: Ixion, he is wielding a two-handed hammer as he used when he killed Kerza.
- This is the Old Arena.
- Mid-Level coin and level 4 fame.
- 4 skull lethality.
- Wilhelm the Proud: Carries a Two-handed Sword, and needs a Two-handed sword to fight.
- Seighard the Heartless.
- Tacitus the Silent.
- Priscus Five-fangs (Level 10 required).
- Vitalis the leech (Level 11 required).
- Legend: Crixus (Level 12 required), he is wearing is classic armor from the fight against Theokoles and a two-handed sword instead of his classic Murmillo attire.
- Level 10 fame to unlock.
- 4 skull lethality.
- Level 4 coin, highest fame.
- Hrowolf: Carries a spear and shield combo.
- Two-handed trident challenger.
- Spear and shield challenger.
- Remus Wolf Child (level 11 required) requires a Spear and Shield to fight him. He uses Dual Daggers.
- Hannibal the Cannibal (Level 12 required).
- Severos the Hunter (Level 13 required).
- Baal (Level 14 required).
- Legend: Spartacus (Level 15 required), fighting in the Dimachaerus style with a pair of Sica.
The game features many characters from the Spartacus TV series. These include:
Ashur and Agron were confirmed as coming in the next update to the game, with Ashur showing up first and then Agron later. Also it was revealed that even more TV characters are going to be made available soon, they will be introduced via thier difficulty level (which explains why 2 of the weaker of the TV characters are coming first). So, don't expect Gannicus or Theokoles to show up till near the final new characters.
Other characters names are seen in the game, however, these are not based on the characters, and any resemblance is purely coincidental.
If a Gladiator dies in battle, any weapons and armor will be returned, but any skills the Gladiator had goes with him. However, he may be revived at first for free and each consecutive time for more currency. If a legendary Gladiator dies, he is not given the option of revival, and instead must be purchased again.
For a list of the achievements see: Spartacus Legends: Achievements
- People who bought the game on the PlayStation 3 the first day encountered a glitch that prevented them from purchasing additional gladiators. This error was quickly corrected the following morning and required those who purchased the game on the first day to re-download/install it. These players were sent a message giving them 50 gold (Valued at $4.99) for the inconvenience.
- Gladiators with purple names cost 8 gold coins prior to level 21. After level 21 the price becomes 12,400 silver coins.
- Gladiators with gold names cost 13 gold coins after they open up at level 21. Once you make it to level 31 the price becomes 11 gold. They remain 11 gold thereafter, never becoming lower than this.
- There was a glitch that made it so the player was unable to recruit new gladiators.
- The bug has since been fixed. If the bug continues, deleting and re-installing the game should fix this.
- The game does not allow the changing of perks.
- The Xbox servers won't connect, or are connecting very slowly, preventing the player from entering the game.
- This may be due to the game being new, and the servers being full.
- More servers were being added so the game had to go offline. The problem should now be fixed.
- The Xbox version freezes after Primus battles, during the loading screen after the results.
- When purchasing gladiators or items, they may disappear and any currency spent will not be returned.
- If one player quits an online battle early, both players receive a warning. It is unknown if this is intentional.
- - Rare Bug - After defeating Masonius on the Xbox version of the game, the game will freeze at the loading screen and require you to restart your Xbox. When loaded back up, you will have unlocked Masonius for purchase, but his fight will be needed to be completed again. The glitch is recurring and has no known fix.
- Often times during online matches, one or both players won't be able to move or react, but still take damage from the other player. However, they will not be able to die, meaning the match won't end. The only solution is to reset the game or turn off the console.
- After the second patch is installed, attempting to arm new gladiators will freeze the game.
VideosEditSpartacus Legends - The Will of the Mob Trailer(01:38)